Prosthodontics is restorative treatment of oral organs including face and jawbone using different created materials. This treatment aims to restore and replace missing natural teeth, while maintaining the same functionality, comfort ability, and attractive looking of your oral cavity.
Nearly everyone has almost complete set of permanent teeth during adolescence. However, over time some teeth may be lost and no permanent teeth are left. Hence, denture is necessary for occlusion, appearance, and clear pronunciation. Besides, teeth also helps decrease or prevent deterioration of other organs related to occlusion. For example, pulling out only one tooth could make other adjacent teeth fall. It can also cause tooth gap which accumulates plaque and leads to decayed teeth. Other impact includes gingivitis (gum disease) and periodontal diseases. An opposing tooth will be deteriorated from lack of impulse from chewing. This can cause bone resorption and narrower and thinner periodontal ligament. The opposing tooth may also protrude. Later on, this protruding tooth and bone may need to be pulled or cut out afterward. For some patient whose back teeth are all pulled out, their chin will be held back causing front teeth to occlude at the end of tooth. This part can wear off. Also bottom front teeth may bite a palate or the base of upper front teeth, which causes bucktooth.
However, wearing dentures may cause harm to the remaining teeth at an adjacent area. Food scraps might be stuck there causing tooth decay. An area covered by dentures such as a palate and edges of gum may lack of stimulation and cleanliness. This can cause inflammation, wobbly, painful, and missing natural teeth.
Is for patient who still has remaining natural teeth. A partial denture can be removed and cleaned
Case where Removable Partial Denture Is Suitable
- Main back teeth are missing, no support for bridges.
- A number of teeth are pulled out, Bridge will not be strong.
- Removable partial denture can be given to a patient who just has tooth extraction and the gum is not fully collapsed. Once the gum ridge is healed and collapsed completely, denture base can be reinforced. Wearing denture early helps maintaining gum ridge.
Details of a process of getting removable partial denture (plastic-based)
- Having an impression and trying-in dentures.
- Test for occlusion and chewing ability.
- adjustment for proper use. This process takes 2-3 appointments.
Cause where Full Denture Is Suitable
- All natural teeth are missing.
- Too few numbers of remaining natural teeth. Bad shape and root bone of teeth. Teeth are too wobbly to hold clasps and must all be pulled out
- Bad oral hygiene, lost of tooth decay. All teeth should be pulled out for full dentures.
- Remaining teeth have unattractive appearance, bad positions. Occlusion line protrudes or is out of gum ridge. Removable or fixed dentures will not be strong or held tightly. It will also yield unattractive appearance. All teeth should also be pulled out.
- Gap space is 3-5 pulled- out adjacent teeth in length.
- A gum ridge of pulled-out front teeth is normal.
- Gap space is longer than 4 pulled-out adjacent teeth.
- Main teeth are not strong enough.
- No main inner teeth.
Open Monday – Sunday, 08.00 – 20.00
Dental Center, 6 th Floor at Bangpakok 9 International Hospital
Telephone : +66 (0) 2109 9111 ext. 10950, 10653
Call Center : 1745